Got love to spare? Volunteers are a vital part of our organization and we have many opportunities available for those willing to lend a hand. The time and effort volunteers spend with the animals keeps Lakeshore PAWS empowered to save the lives of homeless animals. Even if you only have a little time to spare, you can make a big difference in the life of a homeless pet. Thank you for your interest in joining our dynamic volunteer ranks!
- Begin by filling out a volunteer application online here to reserve a spot at an upcoming orientation course.
- The first session will cover some basics and include a tour of the adoption center.
- Potential volunteers will then return the following week or the last Wednesday of the month to watch a dog behavior video and walk dogs with an experienced volunteer.
- The course is then wrapped up with a third visit to the center during office hours to be entered into the volunteer registration computer. Staff and veteran volunteers will be on hand to answer any questions and help with your first official volunteer period.
- Volunteer between the age of 13 and 15 must attend orientation with a parent or legal guardian and must be accompanied by their parent or legal guardian each time they volunteer. Volunteers age 16 to 17 must have a release of liability signed by parents/legal guardian, who must also attend orientation.
- Able to provide eight hours of service per month for a minimum six month period.
- Able to squat, bend, twist, lift or stand for long periods when working directly with the animals.
- Possess strong customer service skills including writing and clear verbal communications as all volunteer positions work directly with the public, staff and other volunteers.
- For safety reasons, volunteers who wish to work directly with the animals must be able to listen to kennel commands and verbally communicate to public, staff and volunteers.
- Attend the Volunteer Orientation.
- NOTE: At this time, we do not allow those who need to complete community service.
We always are in need of helpers at our adoption and fundraising events! Below is a list of the many ways you could help us.
- Walking dogs
- Dog care (socializing & bathing)
- Adoptions assistance
- Off-site events
- Clerical/Administrative duties
And many other opportunities!
Thank you for your interest!
The first step in volunteering is to complete our volunteer application.