Position: Certified Veterinary Technician
Location: Valparaiso, IN
Type: Full-time and Part-time
Lakeshore PAWS is seeking a dedicated and self-motivated Certified Veterinary Technician to join our team in providing quality care to our rescue dogs. As a CVT at our rescue, you will play a crucial role in ensuring the well-being and health of our animals. The ideal candidate will have previous experience working in medical care for dogs and have exceptional communication skills. Compassion for animals is a must.
1. Track the vaccinations and heartworm/flea preventative and make sure all dogs in our care are up to date on them. As well as assisting with data entry of tracked records into the PetPoint data management system.
2. Ability to calculate drug dosages and properly draw up/fill/log medication as well as ensuring medical board/PetPoint is accurate and up to date.
3. Assist in the coordination of all vet services which includes filling out vet authorization forms for every dog that needs medical attention and coordinating travel to/from the vet.
4. Make sure that all dogs are vaccinated and microchipped within 72 hours of intake. Make sure dogs get heartworm tested and if we can’t administer them ourselves, then making sure they get to vet to have the test done.
5. Inventory Control. Keeps track of all medical supplies and coordinates with the director when supplies are needed. This includes medicine, preventative, and microchips.
6. Checks on medical concerns for dogs that are in our care immediately when brought to attention to ensure they receive prompt and quality care.
7. Communicates with potential adopters about any medical conditions or concerns as well as following up with dogs that have been fostered/adopted out with medical issues.
8. Send out fecal’s collected from dogs to IDEXX.
9. Availability to communicate even when not at the center about medical issues. Prompt communication is crucial for the care of our animals.
10. The ability to be detail-oriented and make good decisions, respond quickly and calmly as well as maintain a high standard of care to our dogs.
- Certification as a Veterinary Technician (CVT)
- Previous experience working in a veterinary clinic or animal shelter
- Strong knowledge of animal health, behavior, and medical procedures
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Compassion for animals and a commitment to animal welfare and rescue efforts
- Organizational skills with attention to detail
- Flexibility to work weekends, holidays, as well as providing occasional transportation to vet appointments